Mini-Workshops offer inexpensive opportunities for small working group meetings to take place in conjunction with major meetings such as Fall AGU. Such workshops can focus on planning experiments, finalizing primary sites, defining research methodologies, developing proposals for data collection or synthesis, etc.
icon-chevron-right More information about past GeoPRISMS sponsored Mini-Worshops
The GeoPRISMS Office and the GeoPRISMS Steering and Oversight Committee (GSOC) seek to support early planning activities relating to GeoPRISMS science objectives, both at the GeoPRISMS Primary Sites and for initiative thematic studies. Members of the GeoPRISMS community can apply for support to organize and fund mini-workshops to be held in conjunction with national meetings to bring together groups of interdisciplinary investigators for these purposes. Such mini-workshops can be associated with GSA, AGU or other national meetings at which the research area is well represented. Options for mini-workshops include 2-4 hour sessions in an evening, or half-day sessions before or after the meeting. Mini-workshops can bring together multiple investigators with interests in one of the Primary Sites, spanning multiple Primary Sites within one Initiative, or addressing a theme that transcends Initiatives, depending on the group’s objectives and assessment of the greatest needs.
Proposals should include the following and be no more than three pages long:
- a scientific rationale for the workshop and the reason for its timeliness
- sufficient evidence that a wide group of interdisciplinary researchers would be able to attend
- the national meeting with which the mini-workshop would be associated
- the possible meeting dates and desired meeting format (evening, half or full day, pre- or post-meeting)
- a proposed number of attendees
- the anticipated costs (meeting space, refreshments, A/V equipment, etc.) Note: A detailed budget is not required initially and participant travel and/or lodging costs cannot be provided.
Approved proposals will have reasonable costs associated with the meeting covered by the GeoPRISMS Office. The Office will assist with logistical arrangements. Workshop conveners are responsible for developing the science program and communicating with participants on scientific matters. Any GeoPRISMS supported mini-workshop will be open to all interested parties and will be advertised via the GeoPRISMS mailing list and website. Workshop conveners will provide a summary, including major results of the meeting for inclusion on the GeoPRISMS website and newsletter within 60 days of the meeting.
This is an excellent opportunity to jump-start science and implementation planning discussions for future GeoPRISMS studies, and we encourage you to consider such an undertaking.
If you would like to host a GeoPRISMS-related Mini-Workshop in association with a national meeting we invite you to submit your proposal to the GeoPRISMS Office at email@example.com. The proposals will be reviewed by the GeoPRISMS Steering and Oversight Committee (GSOC).
We encourage you to contact the GeoPRISMS Office with questions or advice prior to submitting.
We look forward to hearing your ideas.
-The GeoPRISMS Office and GSOC
- ExTerra: Evolution of arc crust | Dec 9, 2018, 8:00-12:15pm
- Investigating subduction processes at the Hikurangi Margin, New Zealand | Dec 9, 2018, 1:15-5:00pm
- ENAM science advances: progress and outlook | Dec 10, 2017, 8:30-1:00pm
- Early-Career Scientists/Faculty: Introduction to GeoPRISMS/MARGINS Data Resources, Mini-Lessons, and Effective Broader Impacts | Dec 10, 2017, 1:30-5:30pm
- Amphibious community experiments in Alaska and related opportunities | Dec 10, 2017, 6:00-9:00pm
- EarthScope-type Canadian Cordillera Seismic Array and GPS Network | Dec 11, 2016, 8-1pm
- Volcanoes in Extensional and Compressional Settings | Dec 11, 2016 – 1-5pm
- From rifting to drifting: evidence from rifts and margins worldwide | Dec 13, 2015, 8-1:30pm
- Mini-Workshop on the Himalayan Seismogenic Zone (HSZ) | Dec 15, 2015 – 7-9pm
- Kermadec Arc-Havre Trough Planning Mini-workshop | Dec 8, 2013
- Workshop on Field Logistics for GeoPRISMS Research in the Aleutian Arc | Dec 8, 2013
- Exploring the interplay between solid Earth tectonics and surface processes using community codes | Dec 11, 2013
- Collaborative Efforts in the East African Rift System | Dec 12, 2013
- ExTerra: Understanding Subduction Through Studies of Exhumed Terranes | Florence, Italy, Aug 24-25, 2013
- GeoPRISMS Community Seismic Experiment along the ENAM Luncheon | Dec 8, 2011
- ExTerra: Understanding Convergent Margin Processes Through Studies of Exhumed Terranes | Dec 7, 2011
- Integrating CRISP IODP Drilling and 3D Seismic Study | Dec 7, 2011
- Using Geoinformatics Resources to Explore the Generation of Convergent Margin Magmas | Dec 4, 2011
- EarthScope-GeoPRISMS Opportunities in Eastern North America | Bastrop TX, May 20-21, 2011